1 oz of mixed dried mushrooms (such as oysters, porcini and chanterelles)
8 oz (2 cups) of fresh chopped mushrooms (such as cremini and white button)
1 1/2 cups of low-sodium broth (vegetable or any meat based is fine too)
1 tbs. olive oil (divided)
1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper (to taste)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup of sherry
1 tbs. all-purpose flower
1/2 cup soy creamer (or heavy cream)
1. Place dried mushrooms in medium bowl. Cover with 2 cups of hot water, let stand for 30 minutes (this softens them up and releases their beautiful flavor). Then, drain the mushrooms and reserve the water.
2. Simmer the reserved water and broth in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat 1 1/2 tsp. oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the rehydrated mushrooms with some salt. Saute for about 2 minute or until mushrooms are tender. Transfer mushrooms to a plate - set aside for later.
3. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp of oil in the same saucepan over medium heat. Add the fresh shallots, mushrooms and pepper/salt. Cook for about 2 minutes (do not brown the shallots) and then add the garlic - cooking for about 30-60 seconds.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and stir in the sherry. Simmer about 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
5. Remove about a half of a cup of the both liquid, place it in a bowl and add flour - whisk together and then re-add to the pan.
6. Combine the mushroom/shallot/garlic mixture with the broth mixture. Add about half of the rehydrated mushrooms as well.
7. Transfer the soup mixture to a blender or soup processor (or use your immersion blender) and blend until creamy. The soup is now ready to serve - add a few of the rehydrated mushrooms as garnish.
Notes: This recipes sounds complex with a lot of steps - but it isn't. If you love mushrooms this will knock your socks off. If you won't or can't use any of the dried mushrooms - don't make the soup. The intense smoky and woody flavor of those dried mushrooms make this soup. You can also double the ingredients so that you have leftovers. This is a wonderful low-calorie soup.