Saturday, March 20, 2010
1 qt. strawberries, sliced
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 Tbs. sesame seeds (optional)
1 Tbs. poppy seeds (optional)
Blend first 5 ingredients slowly. Then add oil while still blending. Pour into container and add seeds. Refrigerate dressing until ready to serve. Pour dressing over salad right before serving.
Friday, March 19, 2010
bag of baby spinach
crumbled blue cheese
candied pecans (chopped)
light raspberry vinaigrette
This is just fresh and delish!
3. Continue baking until the dough is thoroughly baked and the cheese has melted. Garnish the top with green onion.
2. Place chicken in a sprayed glass baking dish.
3. Combine pesto, sour cream and mayo in a bowl. Brush/spoon over the chicken breasts.
4. Sprinkle the tops of the chicken breasts with the parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
5. Bake 8-10 minutes or until chicken is done.
The recipe makes 4 smallish loaves of french bread (enough for 4 or 5 people each).
3C Warm Water
1 1/4oz package active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
7 1/2-8C all purpose flour
1. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in 1C warm water.
2. Add sugar and salt, let stand 5 minutes.
3. Stir in 2C water and 3C of the flour-beat with the paddle attachment on your stand mixer. Add remaining flour 1C at a time.
4. Knead with dough hood attachment for 4-6 minutes.
5. Cover with a towel and let rise until tripled in size.
Note: You can make the dough in the morning and let it rise all day.
6. Shape into 4 "loaves" and place on a baking sheet sprayed with Pam.
7. Let rise 45 minutes until doubled in size.
8. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake another 30 minutes or until golden.
Wrap each baked loaf in foil
Loosen one end of foil, and bake frozen loaf at 375 for 20-30 minutes (mine usually takes 30)
This bread is delish! Very crunchy on the outside, and soft and squishy on the inside.
flour tortillas (1 per person)
1 can black beans
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch scallions
1 can corn (or fresh when in season)
Take flour tortillas and fry them in a little oil (healthier version-cut tortillas into strips and bake in the oven until crisp). Put fried tortilla on bottom of plate. Top tortilla with black beans. Top beans with salad mixed with chopped cilantro, scallions, corn, and tomatoes. Place sliced grilled chicken on top of salad
Top salad with an avocado cream- mash avocado and mix with sour cream, and juice of 1 lime
For the dressing, I use Newman's Own Light Lime Vinaigrette -it's amazing!
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
5 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
4 boneless chicken breasts
Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a small bowl. Put the chicken into a labeled 1-gallon freezer bag, pour other ingredients over it, and freeze.
To serve, thaw the ingredients. Place in a baking dish treated with non-stick spray. Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes at 325 degrees.
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp chopped garlic (I grated it- ala Rachael Ray tip)
2 tsp pepper
6 boneless. skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs *
2 tblsp parsley *
1/4 cup melted butter*
Mix the sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire Sauce, paprika, celery salt, garlic and pepper. Pout into 1- gallon freezer bag and add chicken. Completely covering the chicken with the sauce. Label and freeze
To serve, pour thawed chicken into baking pan treated with non-stick spray. Sprinkle top with breadcrumbs, parsley and drizzle with melted butter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes
Note- I cubed the chicken and split this recipe into two freezer bags for two separate dinners.
2 tablespoons flour
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts- cut in half
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half & half
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tomatoes - cut into wedges *
2 tablespoons parsley flakes *
Melt the butter in a large skillet. Cook the chicken breast pieces in the butter over medium heat until cooked through and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside to cool.
Stir flour into drippings in the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and half & half. Stir and cook until the sauce thickens and bubbles. Stir in the mustard. Cook the sauce. Pour the chicken and cooled sauce into a la bled 1- gallon freezer bag and freeze.
To serve, the the chicken. Place the chicken and sauce in a skillet, cover and heat for 10 minutes. Garnish with tomatoes and parsley flakes.
Note- I split this recipe into 2 freezer bags for 2 servings.
10 oz frozen spinach- thawed and well drained
2 tbsp olive oil
1 med onion- chopped
4 garlic cloves- minced (I do that Rachael Ray thing and grate the garlic- so easy)
1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
dash of nutmeg
1 lb short pasta (like a bowtie) for day you serve
Thaw and drain spinach. Pat dry with paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. Chop onion. Mince garlic.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is softened. Add 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, ricotta cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Place in a labeled freezer bag and freeze.
To serve- thaw. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reheat sauce over low heat until through and recombined, stirring frequently. Spoon over pasta.
I like to add a chopped tomato and toasted pinoli nuts to this when I serve it.
3 tsp chopped garlic (or garlic powder)
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts- cut into 1/2 in strips
2 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp pepper
fettuccine, other pasta or rice for day you serve
1 chopped tomato for day you serve
In a large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in butter and oil. Add the lemon juice, chicken, parsley and pepper. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 15 minutes, until no longer pink inside. Cook. Pour into a labeled 1- gallon freezer bag and freeze.
To serve, thaw the mixture. Cook pasta or rice according to directions. In a large skillet, cook the chicken mixture over medium heat for 6-10 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through. Spoon over pasta or rice and garnish with tomato.
8 ounces fettuccine noodles, freshly cooked
1/2 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 - 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Brown sausage in a medium skillet. Add onion during the last few minutes,. Drain off excess fat. Cook the fettuccine according to directions. Add entire can of tomatoes (including liquid) to the sausage mixture. Add the oregano and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese over tomato mixture.
To serve, thaw & bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired. Cut into wedges, serve.
Mix the eggs, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, butter, parsley and garlic powder together in a separate bowl. Toss the noodles with the mixture. Spread noodle mixture in a 10-inch quiche or cake pan. Pour the sausage mixture over the top. Cover with heavy duty aluminum foil and freeze
Ingredients1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1 medium lemon (approximately 3 tablespoon lemon juice)
Pinch of sea salt (or kosher)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup half and half cream
1/4 cup 1% milk
2 tablespoons capers
4 boneless, skinless salmon filets
2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- Add butter and olive oil to a small saucepan at medium-low heat. Once butter is melted and whisked add lemon juice. Whisk constantly to combine.
- Gradually whisk in cream and then milk.
- Add 1 tablespoon of capers. Keep whisking. Sauce will reduce to 2/3.
- Add additional tablespoon of capers. Whisk constantly to make sure the sauce stays incorporated and does not separate.
- Wash salmon under cold water, pat dry with paper towel and season with Mrs Dash, lemon pepper, and rosemary on one side.
- Spray a flat frying pan with a lid with cooking spray.
- Sauté salmon, spice side down over medium-high heat. Flip over when salmon is nicely seared. Season top, turn and sauté other side. Once salmon is seared on the other side, turn to the lowest heat and cover for approximately 15 minutes.
This is adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food. I love this. It's so yummy.
Ingredients1 pound of tri color rotinni
6 ounces sliced prosciutto
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
2 cups milk
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook pasta a few minutes less than package instructions suggest. Cut prosciutto into thin strips.
- In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, toss pasta with spinach, half of prosciutto, milk, ricotta, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining prosciutto and Parmesan. Bake until golden, 30 to 40 minutes.
Ingredients2 carrots, shredded, about 1/2 cup
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 slices prosciutto
4 whole fresh basil leaves
In a medium bowl, toss together the carrots, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Lay out the 4 slices of prosciutto. Top each with 1/4 of the carrot mixture. Place a basil leaf on top of each and roll the prosciutto up and around the basil and carrots. Secure the bundles with toothpicks and serve.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 c. water
2 c. cooked rice
16 oz. refried beans
2 c. shredded cheese, divided (I use Mexican)
10 - 8 in. flour tortillas
16 oz. salsa
10 3/4 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1. Brown meat, drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in rice. Cook and stir until liquid is gone.
3. Spread beans on tortillas, add meat mixture, and cheese. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9 dish.
4. Combine salsa and soup. Pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
1 c. uncooked Minute rice
26 oz. can tomato soup (or 3 small cans)
1 c. shredded cabbage
12 oz. milk (you're needing half as much milk as soup)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown meat, drain.
2. Add cabbage, soup, and milk.
3. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
4. Add rice, remove from heat, and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes.
This is basically an unstuffed cabbage.
24 oz. salsa
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup
1 pkg. taco seasoning
rice (Spanish, Mexican, Taco, etc.)
Combine ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours (or until fully cooked). Shred chicken.
I make a wrap using the optional ingredients. Depending on the salsa, it could get pretty spicy.
1/2 c. flour
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. ginger
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. water
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. soy sauce
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coat chicken with flour, seasoned with garlic salt, paprika, and ginger.
2. Arrange chicken in baking dish. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
3. Mix remaining ingredients (brown sugar, water, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce) in a small pan over low heat. Pour over chicken and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Baste half-way through. Sauce will be very sticky!!
I usually serve with noodles or rice.